Ride Map

Sunday, September 12, 2010

At the Ski's

On Friday, Ski took the afternoon off and we headed for the range, taking his black powder muzzle loader, an M-14 and an AK47. Put some lead downrange and had a good time doing it. Ski is well known as a good shot - he can pound nails with any caliber. So, that was fun. Pizza that night at a local pizza place.





Saturday morning was Michael's soccer game. Michael goes all out. He's fast and intuitive - he reminds me of Spencer as a boy. Wiry and cut the same way, and just as enthusiastic about playing. Coach did a bang-up job and all the kids played just about equal amounts of time. "Good game, good game, good game" high fives at the end.








After the game, we drove to the local Dick's Sporting Goods where I found a good rain suit. I bought one in the golfer's section - two-piece, lightweight and flexible. And on sale. Good deal. I'm hopeful it can stay packed but if the weather today is an indicator of what I'll be seeing on the route home, I'll be wearing it a lot. It hasn't rained in a month here, but it poured last night.

Yesterday evening, some friends came over for dinner (Dave and Bao; Jeff, Colleen, Lindsay and Emily). Sharon grilled salmon. Among other things she made, there was HOMEMADE ICE CREAM!!! Chocolate with raspberries and strawberry with chunks of strawberry. I've already called Judy and told her our lives aren't as complete and satisfied as we believed them to be since we don't have one of those ice cream makers. We'll have one by the end of the month, I bet. But, since I'm still trying to lose more weight, I'll just look at it.

It rained last night and is still wet and gloomy this morning. I was going to leave at midday but I don't want to ride when it's like this unless I really have to so I'll leave tomorrow morning. The weather is forecast to be sunny. It'll take me over an hour to get to the top of the Blue Ridge Parkway and once there, I'll head south with a stop at Mount Airy, NC.


Thanks for reading and for posting. More tomorrow from wherever I stop.

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

If you have to be "stuck" somewhere for another day, I know from personal experience that the Ski's is a good place to be. Do they still have Bruder? Need to get the info on that ice cream machine. (It's a "need"...) Seems I've been hearing a lot about them lately, and we must be missing something by not having one. Safe travels back. Looking forward to your post from Mt Airy.

Sharon Ski said...

Here's the link to the ice cream maker...I also recommend the Williams Sonoma Ice Cream and Gelato "Starter"...it's the best; "do the hand"!!

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cuisinart-ice-cream-maker-extra-freezer-bowl/?pkey=x%7C4%7C1%7C%7C4%7Cice%20cream%7C%7C0&cm_src=SCH

Thanks for spending the weekend with us Ralph!!! I am sure that Michael will not stop talking about Uncle Ralph for a LONG TIME!!